Monday, April 25, 2011

One Person's Mess (Home Office Intervention)

I wanted to include this picture of Devore Home Inspection’s impressive home office and then I realized that it was a cover to a Pottery Barn catalog.

I guess the gig is up and perhaps the truth will set us free.  Hello, my name is Lindsey Devore and I’m a wife to a detail oriented, often clean “freak” (think Danny Tanner on Full House), and business-minded Home Inspector.  I myself love doing organizing projects around our house, at the office, or with any unsuspecting friend (think Peter Walsh from Clean Sweep).

So, how did we let our home office turn into this?
I’m sure we are not the only people that have let their home office become an eye sore.  This often “extra” room can easily become the catch all for undone projects, spare furniture, unwrapped presents, old materials, etc.  Out of necessity, the home office also has to serve multiple purposes (guest room, play room, etc) or is actually not a room at all, but is a space located within the home’s bedroom, kitchen, or living room.

I’m not a believer in organizing just for the sake of organization or appearances.  The goal of organization is to streamline and enhance your daily life and to help you spend your (precious) time focusing on the bigger picture, both for your business and personal life.

Many factors and obstacles may come into play while creating your organized home office. Therefore, during the next few months, while working on creating a new home office for Devore Home Inspections, I will be posting suggestions on the blog to help you get your home office in order.

I find cookie cutter methods of organization boring and impersonal.  Your office should met your business needs, suit your personality and habits, and reflect your style.  Post pictures of your home office, ask questions or provide advice for what works for YOU. 

I would love for you to join me with doing your own 
Home Office Intervention.
 
One person’s mess is merely another person's filing system.
--Margo Kaufman (1-800-Am-I-Nuts?) 
  Real Simple Magazine (2010)

Even though I know very little about Home Inspections, I am excited to be contributing to Devin’s blog.  I hope to contribute some useful information about some of my favorite topics: buying/eating local, finding eco-conscious alternatives, and creating solutions through organization.  Please feel free to let me know if you have a topic that you would like to hear more about or have a suggestion or idea that you would like to share.

On the next blog, Devin will answer reader’s home related questions. 
Would you like for Devin to answer your question? 
Submit your question on Facebook or send him an email @ devoreinspections@insightbb.com.

Thank you for reading Devin’s blog and for learning more about  

1 Comments:

Anonymous Clinton Harvin said...

"The goal of organization is to streamline and enhance your daily life, both for your business and personal life." This statement you made is truly inspiring. What you do at work affects your life in general. Thus, what your office looks like also reflects your personality.

September 22, 2011 at 7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home